Monday, November 1, 2010

Pantry Must-Haves!

A well-stocked pantry makes all the difference when it comes to cooking! Not only does it make the whole process a lot easier, but enables you to prepare meals on the fly. Always buy organic when possible.

As far as herbs and spices go, I tend to think that fresh is best, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with dried ones. Just make sure to check your spice jars at least once a year. If you remove the lid and take a sniff, but don't actually smell anything, it's time to replace it!

Frozen herbs are also a good option. Check out my blog post dated 11/2/10 to learn more! And now, for the "must-haves"...

Baking Staples
  • Pure Vanilla Extract
  • Baking Powder
  • Baking Soda
  • Unsweetened Chocolate or Cocoa Powder
  • All-Purpose Flour
  • Hazelnut or Almond Flour (good for breading fish, too!)
  • Oats
  • Superfine Sugar
  • Brown Sugar
Canned & Jarred Items
  • Italian Plum Tomatoes
  • Marinara Sauce
  • Tomato Paste
  • Capers
  • Minced Garlic
  • Pesto
  • Beans: Cannellini, Chickpeas, Black, Pinto
  • Mustards (for sauces & vinaigrettes - Maille brand is my fav!)
  • Chicken or Vegetable Broth
  • Fruit Jam
  • Salsa
  • Marinated Artichokes
  • Hearts of Palm
Pasta & Grains
  • Assorted Pasta: Spaghetti, Penne, Rigatoni, etc.
  • Wild & Brown Rice
  • Couscous
  • Orzo
  • Quick-Cooking Polenta
Nuts & Dried Fruits
  • Pecan & Walnut Pieces
  • Pine Nuts
  • Slivered Almonds
  • Dried Currants
  • Dried Apricots
  • Dried Sour Cherries
  • Sundried Tomatoes
Oils, Vinegars & Sauces
  • Extra Virgin Olive oil
  • Canola Oil
  • Toasted Sesame Oil
  • Good Balsamic Vinegar
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Soy Sauce
Other
  • Good Sea Salt
  • Kosher Salt
  • Honey
  • Panko
  • Dried Mushrooms
  • Spices: Basil, Oregano, Herbes de Provence, Tarragon, Dill, Thyme, Rosemary, etc. (although fresh is always best!)
Also, these are not “pantry” items per se, but it’s always a good idea to have fresh eggs, milk, parmesan cheese, lemons (I use a ton of them!), potatoes, onions and shallots in the house. I also keep frozen fruit (for smoothies) and shelled edamame in the freezer.

Other tips?

Parchment paper (which is heat-resistant, nonstick, and disposable) makes for very easy clean-up. I line my pans with it ALL the time! Yes, I'm lazy :)

Last but not least, I keep a salt box, pepper grinder, and a bottle of olive oil (with an easy-pour spout) by the stove, as they are my "Holy Trinity" if you will! I pretty much use them in every meal I make, so I like to keep them within reach. Don't keep the oil too close to the stove though... you don't want to cook the bottle.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips, Julie. I think I am going to stalk your "what's in the jar" Hanukkah gift..I have a feeling it will be some yummy stuff!

    ReplyDelete